New York, NY Happy Land Social Club Fire, Mar 1990

Happy Land Social Club Fire Happy Land After Fire.jpg Happy Land Sidewalk outside building.jpg Happy Land Interior Second Floor.jpg Happy Land Monument to Victims.jpg



The Associated Press.
New York -- Police early today began shutting some of the 173 illegal social clubs in a crackdown ordered by Mayor DAVID DINKINS following the deadliest city fire in 79 years.

"I will tell you it will not be an endless battle," DINKINS said Sunday after touring the charred Happy Land social club in the Bronx. "Anybody that had an opportunity to view those 87 bodies knows that we're not going to tolerate this."

A man bounced from a Bronx social club for quarreling with an ex-girlfriend returned with a jug of gasoline and set a fire that killed 87 people at the nightspot, which had been ordered closed, police said.

Most of the dead suffocated in thick smoke in the pre-dawn blaze Sunday, authorities said. Some people were trampled to death, others broke a hole through a wall to an adjoining hall in a desperate attempt to live.

Emergency workers described bodies felled by smoke so quickly that they still had their legs wrapped around a bar stool, gripped drinks or held hands. Only three people managed to reach safety by way of the two tiny exit doors on the front of the two-story Happy Land social club.

"People literally were stacked on top of each other," said ANTHONY DeVITA, the Fire Department's command chief. "It was a firetrap."

The fire occurred 79 years to the day after a blaze at the Triangle Shirtwaist Co. in New York City that claimed 145 lives many of them immigrant garment workers. That blaze led to reforms around the nation in workplace safety.

JULIO GONZALES, a Cuban immigrant and former boyfriend of a Happy Land's ticket seller, was charged with arson and murber, Police Commissioner LEE BROWN said. He was to be arraigned later today.

GONZALEZ, 36, was bounced from the club after a quarrel in which he tried to woo back the woman, police said. After warning, "I'll be back," he returned and sprinkled gasoline on the floor, said Lt. JAMES MALVEY.

GONZALEZ cried with remorse under questioning, said Lt. RAYMOND O'DONNELL, a police spokesman. "Basically, he's saying he did it," O'DONNELL said.

Two rickety staircases lead to the second-story dance floor where most of the bodies were found. Disc jockey, RUBEN VALLADARES, who spun reggae, salsa and calypso records, ran through the flames and was hospitalized with severe burns.

At least two other women escaped. Their condition was unknown.

"People were screaming, they were all burned," said ROSEMARY GREEN, who found the club on fire when she arrived to meet her sister-in-law and cousin. "Once you got in the entrance, there was no way to get out."

GONZALEZ, an unemployed warehouse worker, came to the United States on the Mariel boatlift in 1980, O'DONNELL said.

Police said he went into the club about 3 a.m. and began arguing with the woman.
"He's trying to talk her into making up; she's saying 'Leave me alone,'" O'DONNELL said. The man's ex-girlfriend left before the fire, which was reported at 3:41 a.m., BROWN said. Police withheld her identity.



tapes from happyland

they would be great for learning purposes maybe put them on a cd and it would be great for a history report I just did a report on that fire in a fire inspector class.

Tape cassests from happy land

I have the tape that was playing when fire started. I took it out of the player after the fact along with 3 other tapes. I've had them since. Don't know what to do with them. Ant thoughts?


The dirtbag who started this fire is eligible for parole in 2015. He should ROT in prison for the rest of his miserable life.