Bowbells, ND Woman Fatally Burned, May 1921

The Ward County Independent newspaper, Minot/Ward County, North Dakota
Thursday 19 May 1921; Page 7, Column 5

Bowbells Woman Fatally Burned

Mrs. Nelson of Bowbells, passed away at the Lakeside Hospital last burns(sic)* received at her home in Bowbells on Tuesday of last week. The remains were taken to Bowbells today for burial.

Mrs. Nelson was using a can of coal oil to hurry up the fire last Tuesday morning from which she poured the oil onto the fire in the kitchen stove. The can was nearly empty, and contained just the right amount of air to make a terrific explosion, covering Mrs. Nelson and everything nearby with burning oil. Instead of wrapping herself in a rug or blanket to extinguish the flames, Mrs. Nelson ran outside resembling a living torch and calling for help. Practically all her clothes were burned from her body.

County School Nurse Miss Simmons of Bowbells administered first aid, and at the same time made arrangements to have the woman removed to the Kenmare hospital where she could be given medical attention.

The burns were so severe there was(sic) doubts if Mrs. Nelson would recover from them.

*This article is EXACTLY as printed, it appears to have a line missing, words transposed and grammatical errors.

Hannah Nelson
Find A Grave Memorial# 16617677