Hamilton, OH Drowning, Jun 1932

Hamilton Evening Journal, Saturday, June 11, 1932
"Resuscitation Try Failure Although Body Is Recovered In Thirty Minutes"

"Tragedy Victim As He And 8-Year-Old Pal Go Hunting Tadpoles In Miami "

Second Butler county drowning of the week written into records late Friday as Eugene Blattau, 7, son of Mrs. Robert Gardner, 2409 Noble avenue, fell into Miami river. Body recovered quickly but artificial respiration efforts of fire department squad fails to restore life. Coroner Cook again issues warning against treacherous stream. Rolling down a 10-foot embankment, a seven-year-old boy was drowned in eight feet of water along the east bank of the Miami river, near the foot of Forest avenue, at 5 o'clock Friday afternoon. Coroner Edward Cook, reporting accidental death, Saturday repeated warning to parents to "keep their youngsters from any part of the river, which is extremely dangerous because of step-offs and deep water holes.

Hunting "Tadpoles"
The drowning victim, the second in Butler county this year, is Eugene Blattau, age 7, son of Mrs. Robert Gardner, 2409 Noblo avenue. Fully dressed, the boy and his companion, Alfred Garrod, age 8, 2239 Noble avenue, left a vacant lot near Noble avenue to ''go to the river for tadpoles." The Blattau youngster was running along the bank near Forest avenue when he selected the spot where they would "get them." As he started to crawl down the embankment he lost his balance, and tumbled into the water. As he sank beneath the surface, his companion screamed for help, ran to the nearest residence, crying: ''Gene has been drowned."

Body Recovered
The boy's cries were heard by Ray Reed, age 31, 312 Clinton avenue. Reed led other men to the scene, and plunged from the bank into the stream. He recovered the boy at 5:30 o'clock. Members of the Hamilton life saving squad were summoned and used artificial respiration methods for 30 minutes in an unsuccessful to save the life. The youthful river victim could not swim. Coroner Cook learned that the river near the spot where the boys planned to "get tadpoles'' was not regarded as treacherous. Less than 25 feet from the spot where the boy's body was recovered the water was less than three feet deep.

Efforts Commended
The accident, Coroner Cook said, "again emphasizes the danger of youths, or anyone, venturing in the stream which is most dangerous at many points." Police and firemen were commended by Coroner Cook today for their efforts to save the boy's life. Reed also was praised for his quick work in recovering the body, which he dragged from the stream before police arrived with a lifeboat, draglines and hooks. The remains were removed to the Dawson funeral parlors. The deceased is survived by his bereaved mother and stepfather, and two half-sisters, Betty Lou and Margie Gardner. He was a pupil at Pierce school, where he was most popular. Funeral services will be held at 2:30 o'clock Monday afternoon from the funeral home, 424 South Fourth street. Rev. E.W. Elrod, of the Lindenwald M.E. church, will officiate. Friends may call anytime Sunday afternoon or evening. Interment will be in Greenwood cemetery.