Harpster, OH Train Wreck, Oct 1910
The train was pulled by the same new type of engine as was used in the wreck near Toledo of Sept. 12, when a defect in the engine was blamed for the accident. The engineer said after the wreck that the had the steam cut off and was coasting.
The train carried an extra baggage car filled with EDWARDS' performing animals. This car left the rails but did not overturn. None of the animals was injured, but their owner, in a passenger coach, had his right shoulder and left hand badly cut.
The train was 15 minutes late and was making high speed, when for some cause, as yet unknown, it left the track. The engine, tender and baggage car jumped over the ties until they came to a standstill, but two passenger coaches swerved over and off a 15-foot embankment.
The wreck occurred half a mile south of the station and the first word about it was conveyed by telephone. The operator called for aid from the train dispatcher's office at Columbus, and relief trains were rushed from Marion and Columbus.
Rescuers Slow To Arrive.
It was fully a half hour before the real work of rescuing the victims of the crash was under way. Villagers and farmers armed with axes cut their way into the two ditched cars and carried out the injured passengers. The two women were found crushed under seats. It was with difficulty that their bodies were removed.
The village doctors were supplemented within an hour by physicians who rushed from Upper Sandusky in automobiles.
Number 33 is the same train which was wrecked near Toledo Sept. 12, in which three men were killed -- G. J. DeVILBISS and L. C. ENGLER, Hocking Valley officials, and Engineer G. L. MILBOURNE. In this wreck, which was blamed on a defect in the engine, all the fatalities were in the cab when the locomotive turned turtle.
In charge of the wrecked train were C. C. JENKINS, engineer; A. KINZIE, fireman, and JAMES WILSHIRE, conductor, all of Columbus.
The Van Wert Daily Bulletin Ohio 1910-10-21