Cincinnati, OH Fire, Sep 1852

GREAT FIRE AT CINCINNATI.

On Monday last, an extensive conflagration occurred at Cincinnati. The Gazette supplies the following particulars:
The fire originated from the overheating of a stove in a small frame dwelling on Webb street, between Third and Fourth and Smith and Park streets. This house, owned by ROBERT EVANS, together with three other frame buildings, owned by WILLIAM POOR and WM. MYERS, were burned to the ground. These houses were principally occupied by tenants who feel severely their several losses. MR. POOR will lose some five hundred dollars, and he being a hard working man, who by the strictest economy had been enabled to acquire this property, feels keenly his loss. He had been insured in a company that recently failed, but had neglected to reinsure, and now it is too late.
The other buildings were worth from $400 to $600 each, but we did not learn that there was any insurance on them.
So rapid was the course of the flames that several persons narrowly escaped with their lives. A lady in her fright ran from a burning room, forgetting her infant child, and a fireman seeing its condition rushed into the flames, and rescuing it, restored it to its almost frantic mother.
While this fire was raging, a flying ember slighted on the roof of Trinity (German Catholic) Church, on Fifth street -- almost two squares north of the Webb street fire -- and although when first discovered might have easily been extinguished by a single bucket of water, yet was neglected too long, and soon it spread under the roof breaking out all over it, and in an instant the fierce flames were driving down among the costly ornaments of the interior, and coiling around the ancient cupola, blacking the face of the time honored clock that has so long pointed the time of day to the denizens of West End.
A crash soon followed, and the fine three-story brick School house belonging to the Church received the falling spire, which soon enveloped that structure in flames.
The fire spread in the rear of the Church into the parsonage, and the three buildings were wrapped in one flame. Although the firemen made most vigorous efforts to save the property, yet it is now one mass of ruins. It was with much difficulty that the Seventh District School house, on Fourth street, was prevented from burning, and other property adjoining the Church would certainly have suffered but for the untiring exertions of the firemen.
We are informed by the resident Priest, WILLIAM SCHONAT, that the entire loss will be between forty and fifty thousand dollars, with an insurance of twenty thousand, partly in the Equitable Insurance Company.

The New York Times New York 1852-09-04