Greensburg, PA Robinson Corner Fire, Oct 1875

FIRE AT ROBINSON CORNER.

On Sunday morning, 10th of October, 1875, the old Robinson Corner, as it was called,— that is, the corner now occupied by the Baughman building,— took fire and in a short time was entirely consumed. At the time of its destruction it was occupied on the first floor by William Robinson & Co., dealers in general merchandise, and by his son, dealer in grocery and queensware. The second floor was divided into three apartments, occupied respectively by J.M. Carpenter as a law-office and Joseph Greer as a justice’s office, by Robert Black as a tailor-shop, and by S. Weiner, dyer and scourer. The occupants lost everything they had in the building. The fire was combatted with great energy, the two fire companies being on the ground shortly after the first alarm. The fire was checked on reaching the Baughman brick store building, adjoining the burning buildings on the north side of Main Street. This building being much loftier than those burning, having a solid wall of brick, against which the flames were powerless, and protected by galvanized iron cornices, lintels, and roofing, the flames on reaching it were fortunately controlled.

History of Westmoreland County, PA 1882