Parnassus, PA Terrible Mine Explosion, Mar 1929
TWENTY-FIVE DEAD IN MINE DISASTER.
THREE MORE BODIES AND ONE INJURED MAN REMOVED TODAY FROM KINLOCH WORKINGS -- THIRTY MISSING.
NUMBER OF LATTER ARE BELIEVED TO BE SAFE.
SO FAR, 234 HAVE BEEN RESCUED ALIVE -- THREE SEPARATE INVESTIGATIONS BEGUN INTO EXPLOSION'S CAUSE.
Parnassus, Pa., March 22. -- Unconfirmed reports at 2 p.m. from rescue workers said fourteen more bodies had been found in the Kinlock mine.
(By United Press)
Parnassus, Pa., March 22. -- The known death list in the Kinloch mine explosion mounted to twenty-five at noon today, when three more bodies were removed from the wrecked workings.
The bodies of the three men were brought up the main shaft where the explosion occurred.
A few hours before LAWRENCE ALLSHOUSE, aged 28, was found alive and carried from the pit. He was in the same portion of the mine in which the last three bodies were located.
Still alive after lying in an injured condition for twenty-seven hours, ALLSHOUSE was removed to a hospital where it was said he probably will die. He was semi-conscious.
ALLSHOUSE brought the list of miners rescued alive to 234.
More miners are believed to be in the mine, but the exact number could not be determined.
Rescue workers reported at noon that another body or two had been located in the workings, but not removed.
JAMES POOLE, JESSE ANDO and JAMES DAVIS were the three men whose bodies were removed at noon.
Company officials said after the last three bodies were removed that thirty miners remained to be accounted for. But they believed that many of that number escaped from the mine uninjured and went to their homes without checking through the company offices.
Based on these figures approximately 300 miners were at work in the mine when the explosion occurred, fifteen minutes after the night crew had left the workings and the day crew had gone to work.
Company officials, previously announced that not more than 250 miners were at work at the time.
Three investigations were under way. State Assemblyman Michael A. Musmanno announced he would personally conduct an investigation, seeking to bring about more stringent mine legislation to prevent the recurrence of such tragidies.
Westmoreland County officials, in whose jurisdiction the mine, lies were conducting another investigation in which attaches of the coroner's and the sheriff's office were cooperating.
The third investigation was begun by State Secretary of Mines Walter H. Glasgow, who went to the scene from Harrisburg to aid in the rescue work.
Company officials announced today that the explosion, which rocked the countryside for miles, probably was caused when a conveyor chain in the tipple at the mine mouth broke and dropped tons of coal and steel to the bottom of the slope. A spark, which occurred in the crash at the bottom of the slope, probably ignited coal dust in the mine.
Altoona Mirror Pennsylvania 1929-03-22
Final listing of the killed in the Kinlock Mine explosion:
GEORGE DE LOURIENCES.
CHARLES E. HANLON.
J. F. JONES.
J. F. OWENS.
GEORGE PRASKIN, JR.
Two Unidentified Bodies.
Partial List of Injured:
EUGENE VAN HORNE.
W. S. HANCOCK.