Leisenring, PA Frick Coal Mine Accident, Feb 1913


Rib Boss, Widely Known, and Foreigner Meet Sudden Death.


Men Work Four Hours to Reach Body of McIntyre, Slav in Not Recovered Until Next Day; McIntyre One of Best Known Men in the Region.

JOHN McINTYRE, one of the most widely known employes of the H. C. FRICK Coke Company, and JOHN SLOKUS, a Slav, were caught by a fall of slate yesterday morning in the mines at Leisenring No. 1 and instantly killed. The accident occurred about 11 o'clock. MR. McINTYRE is rib boss, and was working with SLOKUS when the roof fell. Another laborer working with the men had left them a short time before and escaped injury.

The fall was an unusually large one. It took the men four hours to reach the body of MR. McINTYRE. His shoulder was dislocated, his wrist broken and his body badly bruised. The men worked all night in search for SLOKUS. His body was discovered this morning at 5 o'clock.

Both bodies were removed to Funeral Director J. L. STADER'S parlors and prepared for burial. MR. McINTYRE'S body was taken to his home at Leisenring No. 1 this afternoon. Requiem high mass will be celebrated at St. Vincent DePaul's church at Leisenring No. 1, Friday morning. No arrangements had been made at noon for the funeral of SLOKUS. Coroner H. J. BELL was notified of the accident and will hold an inquest next week.

MR. McINTYRE had resided at Leisenring for 30 years and was one of the best known mining men of Fayette county. He was a member of St. Vincent DePaul's church at Leisenring No. 1, and in addition to his widow is survived by the following children: JOHN McINTYRE, Superintendent of the Taylor Coal & Coke Company at Searight; CHARLES, fire boss at Searight; FELIX, fire boss at Castle Shannon; THOMAS and MARTIN, machinists in the Baltimore & Ohio shops here. MRS. PATRICK KELLY and MRS. THOMAS MORGAN, Castle Shannon, MRS. JOHN HUMPAGE, Coal Creek; MISSES ROSE, AGNES, ANNA and ELLEN McINTYRE at home.

SLOKUS is survived by his widow and four children. SLOKUS had been working the mines but three days, having come from Leisenring No. 4. Mine Inspector J. E. STRUBLE, MICHAEL BELL, WILLIAM HENNESAY and several other laborers helped remove the bodies from the mines.

The Daily Courier Connellsville, Pennsylvania 1913-02-26