New Castle, PA Scratched by Turtle, Sept 1895
Blood Poisoning From a Turtle
New Castle, Pa, Sept. 9. -- Benjamin Dean a restaurant man of this city, is confined to his bed by a strange accident. A week or ten days ago he was engaged in cleaning a turtle when he received a little scratch on his hand from a bone. He paid but little attention to it at the time. Now his hand and arm are swollen to twice their natural size, and the physicians are fearful that he will die of blood poisoning.
The Evening Democrat, Warren, PA 9 Sept 1895