123

Philadelphia, PA Oil Stove Explosion and Fire, Dec 1900

MOTHER RESCUES TWO CHILDREN FROM FLAMES

Brave Woman Dashes Down Blazing Staircase to Save Family

Three lives were endanger by a fire yesterday in the dwelling of Mrs. Dumkle, 120 Fairmount avenue. It was originated by the explosion of an oil stove. The woman rescued her two children.

Mrs. Dumkle and her two young daughters had a very narrow escape. The staircase quickly caught fire, making it seem impossible for them to reach safety. Mrs. Dumkle seized one child in her arms, and telling the other to follow she dashed madly through the flames. Besides a few slight burns not one of the three was injured.

The Philadelphia Inquirer, Philadelphia, PA 23 Dec 1900

123