Philadelphia, PA Fairmount Park Dam Drowning Rescue, Apr 1916


Two Men Leap From Boat Into Water, While Other "Shoots" Into River Below.

Hundreds of persons watched the rescue of two men, from apparently certain death, and the unlooked for escape of a third, when the boat containing the three was drawn into the current of the Schuylkill river about 200 feet about the Fairmount Park dam yesterday afternoon. Three feet of water was thundering over the dam at the time.

Two of the men leaped into the river and were draged[sic] into a rescue boat by park guards. The third in the craft was swept over the dam, and was saved among the rocks of the lower river after an hour's struggle by other guards.

The plight of the boat was first discovered by pedestrians, and was swiftly communicated to the guards. Sergeant Glenn and Guard Corr, who have figured in other rescues, put out without delay. The three men, although just able to keep the boat from being going over the dam, were unable to pull free from the current. They were rapidly losing strength when the other boat neared them.

The guards had reached a point several rods away, when D. J. Windle, twenty years old, and Edward Prichett, nineteen, of 1310 West Lehigh avenue, leaped into the river, and after a desperate struggle, managed to reach the gunwales of the guard's boat. The third, George B. Knight, of 836 North Fourth street, strove to keep the now lightened craft from going over. When he realized that he must "shoot" the dam, he turned the craft bow forward, and went over arrow-fashion. The boat, leaping free of the rush of water and striking the dam-breast with a sound audible on the banks, turned slightly in its course, then it took a second plunge into the foaming, churning brown waters below the dam.

The oars were wrenched out of Knight's hands and when the boat met the lower waters, it remained for a time in the eddies among the lower rocks. Guards Sterling and Lavery already had a boat in the river below this point, and when Knight was finally shot out into the current, they intercepted his boat and brought him in.

Windle and Prichett were dried out at the [illegible] Guard House and all were sent home.

Philadelphia Inquirer, Philadelphia, PA 3 Apr 1916