Spartanburg, SC Converse College Fire, Jan 1892

Columbia SC Converse College Circa 1905.jpg

CONVERSE COLLEGE BUILDING BURNED.

Columbia, S. C., Jan. 4. -- The Converse College for Young Women at Spartanburg, this State, was destroyed by fire Saturday night. The fire started in the boiler room of the main building, which is a total loss. The estimated loss on building and furniture is $125,000; insurance, $47,000.
Most of the pupils were absent on account of the Chirstmas holidays, but 100 were asleep when the fire occurred. All escaped safely. There was but one accident. ROBERT DAWKINS, the colored fireman, fell from the second story, struck on a mattress, and was severely but not fatally hurt.
Many of the pupils lost their trunks and valuables, some only managing to escape with what they wore. Citizens offered the hospitality of their homes to the pupils, and the college will resume operations in temporary quarters tomorrow. A new and better building will be erected by October.

The New York Times New York 1892-01-05