Pacific Place, TN Steamer SILVER SPRAY Explosion, Aug 1870



Memphis, Tenn., Aug. 1. -- A terrible disaster occurred at Pacific Place, thirty miles above here, at 12 o'clock last night. The stern-wheel steamboat SILVER SPRAY, from New Orleans for Cincinnati, with a barge in tow, exploded her boilers, killing and wounding a number of the crew and passengers. The boat then took fire. MR. SINGLETON, the second clerk, states that just as the watch was called an explosion took place, and in a moment the boat was wrapped in flames. Nothing was left for the survivors but to plunge into the river and swim three hundred yards to the nearest shore. Owing to the darkness of the night it was impossible to render assistance to the wounded. As the books of the principal officers are missing, it is impossible to obtain a full list of the killed and injured. The following, however, are known to be lost:
Capt. A. N. JORDAN, of Cincinnati.
THADDEUS WORTLING, first clerk, of Newport, Ky.
ASA TAYLOR, second mate, of Long Reach.
O. W. BAILEY, second steward, of Cincinnati.
BOYD SMITH, (colored,) berth-maker, of New Richmond.
ALFRED CARNES, second cook, of Pittsburg.
A colored chamber-maid, name unknown, and CHARLES JORDAN, steersman, son of the Captain, were fatally injured, and soon after died.
Fatally Injured -- EDWARD LONG, book-keeper, of Cincinnati; DICK CAGE, (colored,) cook, of New Richmond; a colored porter, name unknown; GEORGE WILLIAMS, (colored,) a deck hand, of St. Louis.
Severely Wounded -- A. R. SINGLETON, second clerk, of Newport, Ky., scalded; JAMES CORCORAN, mate; RICHARD NICHOLS and EPH. MARSH, (colored,) deck hands, of Cincinnati, slightly scalded; N. S. HAYNE and T. J. GILL, deck hands, of Louisville; EDWARD PATTERSON, pilot, of Newport, Ky.
Saved -- J. M. ASHFORD, engineer, of Newport; WASHINGTON SNEIDER, second engineer, of Pittsburg; HENRY SHELBY, (colored,) pantry-man, of Detroit; G. SANDERLIN, (colored,) of Texas; ______ TENDER, of Cincinnati; JOHN CLAY, steersman, of Cincinnati; JAMES LEGLEY, of Cincinnati; JOHN PARKER, of New Orleans; BENJ. WEST, (colored,) of New Albany; and CHARLES SMITH, (colored,) of Louisville -- the latter deck hands.
The following are the deck passengers:
JOHN PLYNASSER and JOHN PAPEL, of Cincinnati; HENRY MEYER, of New Orleans, and a German with his wife and child, names unknown.
Two hours after the explosion, the steamer City of Cairo hove in sight, and immediately went to the relief of the sufferers. All who were saved were taken on board and brought here. As soon as the news of the disaster reached here the citizens hurried to the wharf, and everything possible was done for the wounded, who, by order of Mayor JOHNSON, were taken in ambulances to the city hospitals, every attention being shown them there. The passengers who were saved lost all their clothing and baggage, but were partially supplied by the officers and crew and the passengers of the City of Cairo, of whose conduct they speak in the warmest terms. The City of Cairo was bound to St. Louis, but turned back, after using every effort to recover the bodies lost. The SPRAY floated down the river two miles, and lodged on the bar, where she and the barge burned to the water's edge. She was seven years old, and belonged to Capt. S. PATTERSON, who had stopped off for a trip, leaving Capt. JORDAN in charge. The boat had near 300 crates of queensware, and a number of cabin and deck passengers. There were also nineteen deck-hands on board. It is believed by MR. SINGLETON that twenty-six lives were lost.

The New York Times New York 1870-08-02