Taylor, TX Block Fire, Dec 1927

Taylor Block Is Fireswept

Several Business Buildings Reported to be Burning.

Special to The News.

Taylor, Texas, Dec. 13 (Tuesday).-Shortly after midnight the fire that had just threatened the entire business district was under control. The loss at that time was estimated at $175,000.

Special to The News.
Taylor, Texas, Dec. 12.-The north half of the business block between Second and Third Streets on Main Street was wrecked by a fire Monday night which threatened, for a time, to spread to other portions of the city, The fire had been burning two hours at 10 o’clock and was not under control, although Bartlett and Granger departments were helping to fight the blaze.

Walls of the Carl Grau Building, occupied by the Rosenberg’s store, Sam’s drug store and the B. B. Crowder Jewelry Company, were crumbling and the F. W. Woolworth & Co. store. Daliet’s drug store, a lunch stand and other small structures were burning. Telephone calls were put through to Austin and Georgetown, asking for assistance from their fire departments.

Absence of wind and the fact that a slow mist, which had fallen all day, had dampened roofs prevented outlying sections from catching fire. Indications at 10 o’clock were that the damage would be confined to the one block.

No estimates of loss were announced, but it was certain that stocks of merchandise had practically been destroyed and indications were that several of the buildings were damaged beyond repair. Insurance figures also were unobtainable.

Several Reported Hurt.

Austin, Texas, Dec. 12 (AP).-Bill Ortlie, one of the members of fire engine No. 2’s crew from Austin, distinguished himself in the fire at Taylor when he carried an overcome fireman out of the second story of the burning Bowers building, said telephone reports here. The man, said by spectators to have been a member of the Bartlett Company, was revived.

Fireman A. E. Flink of Taylor was overcome by the flames and was given first aid treatment. He was not seriously injured.

T. W. Falkenberg, president of the Taylor fire department and ex-president of the State Firemen’s Association, said another fireman, whose identity he did not know, was injured, but not seriously.

More than 5,000 people from Taylor and the neighboring country watched the blaze.

Prof. Le Dieu of the A. & M. College, visiting here, was notified of the serious injury of his brother in the fire and left here for Taylor, it was learned by the Austin American. No details had been secured of Le Dieu’s injury.

Dallas Morning News, Dallas, TX 13 Dec 1927