Goliad, TX Courthouse Square Fire, Aug 1925
Block Fronting Court house Square Wiped Out by Flames.
By The Associated Press.
Goliad, Texas, Aug. 13. - Fire Thursday afternoon virtually wiped out the block fronting on the court house square to the south of here, destroying five frame business buildings, four of which were occupied. The loss is estimated at $50,000, partially covered by insurance.
Two of the buildings were owned by J. G. PATTON, two by W. F. HEMRICH of Yorkktown and one by Phil CAMPBELL. J. W. KREUSE, who conducted a bakery in one of the buildings, was the heaviest loser, a carload of flour, which had been unloaded a few hours before the fire, being consumed. Others who lost their fixtures and stocks were Mike BRUCHMILLER, cleaning and pressing shop; J. W. BILLUPS, grocery store; Emil BRUCHMILLER, restaurant, and the Garza barber shop. The vacant stores was occupied until a day or two by the Kimbrough Furniture Company.
The fire started in the Bruchmiller cleaning and pressing shop when a boiler exploded. Flames spread rapidly to adjoining buildings and the volunteer fire department, hampered by inadequate equipment, worked valiantly to confine the fire.
The fire burned up to the Commercial Bank Building, a stucco structure, which occupied the southwest corner of the block. It was slightly damaged, as was the Zeligson brick building across the street.
Fearing that the fire would spread to other parts of the business section, assistance was asked of Victoria, twenty-five miles distant, but later when the flames were brought under control the call was canceled.
Dallas Morning News, Dallas, TX 14 Aug 1925