123

Hallettsville, TX Courthouse Square Fire, Dec 1899

FIRE RECORD

A Fire at Hallettsville.

Hallettsville, Tex., Dec. 18.—At 1 o’clock this morning fire was discovered in the storehouse of Simpson Bros., in the northeast side of the courthouse square. The alarm was given and in a very few minutes the fire companies, three in number, responded and had streams of water playing on the building, a two-story brick. The building was used as a dry goods store and burned rapidly, but the flames were prevented from spreading. Mr. Henry Seftenberg, who was sleeping in the second story of the building, escaped by climbing out of a window and down a telephone pole.

Mr. A. Seftenberg, manager of the business, was in Columbus, but in response to a telephone message arrived here early this morning.

The stock, valued at $15,000, is a total loss, with $9,000 insurance. Building owned by Isaac Samuels, valued at $6,000; insured for $3,000.

Dallas Morning News, Dallas, TX 21 Dec 1899

123
123