Fort Worth, TX Fire, Jun 1886
At Fort Worth.
Fort Worth, June 2.-This afternoon at 3:00 flames were discovered bursting from a stable owned by J.L. Scoggins, corner of Main and Tucker streets, on the South Side, nearly two miles from the courthouse. The fire alarm does not reach this portion of the city, and the stable was nearly destroyed and the flames had communicated to the grocery store of M.D. McNealy, near it, before the alarm was sent in to the engine house.
By the time department had reached the scene the flames had spread from the grocery store to the drug store of Weaber Bros., and it, with the grocery, was totally destroyed, with nearly all the contents of both.
From these buildings the fire spread to three residences owned by C.G. Kenkead and H. Allison, which were partially destroyed, but the contents, saved in a damaged condition.
The house occupied by Weaber Bros. was owned by a man named Cooper and was insured for only $800. The stock of drugs was valued at $2000, on which there was no insurance. The grocery building was also owned by Cooper, who had $100 insurance on it. McNealey’s stock of groceries was valued at $1800, on which he had an insurance of $1200. The two houses owned by Allison were valued at $1000 and were insured for $850. Kenkead had no insurance on his house. In the stable where the fire originated was a horse valued at $150, owned by Scoggins, whose loss all told will reach $500. The fire is supposed to have been accidental.
Dallas Morning News, Dallas, TX 3 Jun 1886