San Angelo, TX Courthouse Clerk's Office Fire, Jun 1886


SAN ANGELO, June 28.—[Special]—At an early hour, this morning, Jailer Drennan discovered smoke issuing from the second story of the court-house, fired his revolver rapidly, and a crowd soon gathered. The fire was found to be in the office of Hon. John Zackry, clerk of the District Court. It is supposed to have been caused by mice eating party matches, a box of which were in Mr. Zackry’s desk. The court-house is thoroughly fire proof, and this fact saved the splendid structure. The offices are also fire proof, with heavy paneled doors and shutters and cemented doors. The fire destroyed Mr. Zackry’s desk and most of the records in his office, including many cases filed in the District Court, thus inconveniencing litigants and members of the bar. The walls of the room were badly injured but the damage will not be more than $150.

Galveston Daily News, Galveston, TX 29 Jun 1886