Grand Prairie, TX Lamp Explosion Causes Fire at Two Houses, Nov 1912

GRAND PRAIRIE FIRE;

TWO EXPECTED TO DIE

FIVE PEOPLE ARE HURT WHEN LAMP EXPLOSION BLAZE BURNS TWO HOMES

SPECIAL TO THE NEWS

Grand Prairie, Tex., Nov. 7. -- Fire here tonight at 9:30 o'clock, caused by the explosion of a lamp, destroyed two residences and may result in the death of Dr. and Mrs. J. B. Nicholson's two small children, who are so badly burned that physicians say there are small chances for recovery.

Three others were injured while leaving the houses and rescuing from the Nicholson home the two children. They are Mrs. Nicholson and Mrs. L. M. McCool, the latter having been the owner of one of the houses that were destroyed, and Homer Nicholson, aged 17 years, who was injured when he burst through a window pane to enter the burning room to save the two little boys.

The explosion occurred in a room that was occupied by several people. One of the Nicholson boys attempted to blow out a lamp, when it burst, scattering flames upon the occupants and about the room.

The property loss amounted to about $5,000. A few articles were saved from one house. Insurance was carried on the McCool home.

Dallas Morning News, Dallas, Texas 8 Nov 1912