Bryan, TX Apartment House Fire, Sept 1923

BRYAN APARTMENT HOUSE BURNS; CHURCHES DAMAGED.

Special to the News

Bryan, Texas, Sept. 28 – The three-story brick apartment house of MR. and MRS. J.W. BATTS of Bryan was burned to the ground with all contents, at 4:20 o’clock Friday afternoon. The loss is estimated at $25,000, partly covered by insurance.

The fire started from a small heater in the basement connected with the hot water tank. Some twelve families had apartments in the building and they are left homeless.

The Baptist Tabernacle, adjoining, was damaged to the extent of $2,500 and the furniture and pews of the First Baptist Church, next to the tabernacle, suffered $1,000 loss from breakage. The tabernacle and church losses were covered by insurance.

Dallas Morning News, Dallas, Texas 29 Sept 1923