Cisco, TX Fire, Feb 1910



Special to THE NEWS.

Cisco, Tex., Feb. 27. - A fire broke out here this morning at 3:15 o'clock and the handsome new buildings recently built by Avner Mayhew and L. B. Platt are a complete wreck, and the new department store of Davis-Garner Company is badly damaged. The Platt Building was occupied by L. B. Platt, jeweler, and Howard de Spain, druggist. The loss on the Platt Building amounted to $5,500, on stock $1,500, fixtures $1,000; insurance on all, $4,000.

Loss on the De Spain stock $6,000, insurance $2,700.

Loss on the Mayhew Building $6,000, insurance $4,500.

It was occupied by George Winston, dealer for groceries; loss on stock $6,000, insurance $4,000. Part of the building was occupied by Reeder's barber shop; loss on stock of barber's supplies $1,500, insurance $1,000.

Will McCall's tailor shop in rear end of store, loss on stock $500.

The upper story was occupied by J. W. Watson Cisco Exchange; loss on stock $1,500, no insurance.

Connie Davis, land and loan office, loss on fixtures, $1,500, no insurance.

Avner Mayhew, cotton office, loss on fixtures and books unestimated at this time.

Arila Freeman, stock and exchange office, loss on notes and fixtures $1,500.

Loss on the Davis-Garner stock by fire and water will amount to $15,000, on house $3,000.

Bedford Mashburn came near losing his life when the large awning in front of Davis-Garner's store fell. He was coming down the stairway and it cut off all ways of escape. He turned back, went to the upper story of the building and piled coffins and boxes to the top of the building and escaped through the roof. The volunteer fire company did valiant work and many compliments have been paid them by those who watched them work.

The safes belonging to L. B. Platt, George Winston, Aveny Mayhew, Connie Davis, Howard de Spain and L. Reeder are buried under the debris and it is feared that all papers are lost.

The vault that contained the cut glass and silver and chinaware of L. B. Platt is completely gutted. At the time of the fire the electric lights had gone off for the night and the calliope wistle failed to blow on account of it. The fire bell was rung by some one so that the alarm was slow in being turned in.

The Dallas Morning News, Dallas, TX, 28 Feb 1910