San Angelo, TX Landon Hotel Fire, Aug 1902
SEVEN MEET DEATH IN A HOTEL FIRE.
The Landon Hotel at San Angels [sic] , Texas, was destroyed by fire, seven people meeting their death. There were seventy-five persons in the house, and all of them emerged safely except the seven named and three others who have not been located but who are believed to be safe. The seven women and children got out on a small balcony and were appealed to to [sic] jump into blankets which were being held for them, but they failed to do so and delayed until the gallery fell back into the flames.
American Eagle Murray Utah 1902-08-16
PERISHED IN THE FLAMES.
Eight Lives Known to be Lost in a Fire at San Angelo.
San Angelo, Tex., Aug. 11 - A fire swept over San Angelo Sunday morning between 2 and 5 o'clock, leaving death and destruction in its path. The fire originated in the kitchen of the Landon hotel, and the block in which it is situated in a heap of smouldering ruins. Several lives were lost. A woman with a baby in her arms perished in view of hundreds of spectators who could give no aid.
Those whose remains have been taken out are:
MRS. J. C. LANDON, San Angelo.
B. HENDRICK, commercial traveler, Waco.
MRS. FRANK SCHLEPINSKY and two children, Houston.
MRS. FOWLER and a grandchild, Houston.
Others are missing. A number escaped in their night clothes, badly burned.
The Landon hotel, which has counted among its guests visitors from every corner of the globe, is a heap of smoldering ruins, together with the pretentious business block in which it was located and ten human lives have paid their last forfeit. The hotel was a rambling two-story structure of stone, with but two exits, front and rear.
Sunday morning at 2 o'clock, while waiting on the outside of the hotel for the arrival of the Santa Fe train, the night clerk detected smoke drifting through the office. Rushing to the inside he discovered the dining room filled with smoke emanating from a fire originating in the kitchen. Baffled in his attempts to subdue the flames, he sped up stairs through the hall arousing the sleeping guests. In this he was assisted by MR. AND MRS. J. C. LANDON, the proprietors whom he first awakened. Battling through smoke and flame, they made their way from door to door as best they could until they found themselves cut off from exit in front. The clerk and Mr. LANDON escaped by the rear stairs, but MRS. LANDON, with the courage born of heroism, risked all, one last vain and desperate attempt to convey a warning to some remaining guests.
Soon a little group of seven terror-possessed and panic stricken people appeared upon the balcony and were beseeched to jump into blankets that were held in strong and steady hands. They hesitated to make the leap, and while they debated the wall to which the balcony was attached slowly toppled inward depositing them into the vortex of the fire, where they perished in plain view of the spectators. In this group were the heroic MRS. LANDON, MRS. FOWLER and grandson, the latter a grandson of Santa Fe Conductor JOHN GLENNY of Galveston, MRS. FRANK SCHLUPINSKY and two small children of Houston, and B. HENDRICKS a drummer of Waco.
Many guests escaped at the peril of their lives in a most miraculous manner. Three other guests, whose names could not be ascertained on account of the confusion and destruction of the hotel register are feared to have lost their lives. The search continues. A number of guests escaped in their night clothes badly burned. Comparatively nothing was saved, so swift and sudden was the fire's work. The wind was blowing a gale and the flames did fearful execution.
Some twenty guests who were lodging over the steam laundry adjacent to the hotel were rescued by the use of a ladder.
The Commerce Journal Texas 1902-08-15