Kaysville, UT Wedding Party Auto Collision, Feb 1952



Kaysville, Davis County, Feb. 18 -- An Ogden man and his bride og 17 hours were killed instantly here early yesterday, along with five other members of their wedding party, when their car hit head-on with a heavily-loaded trailer-truck near the south city limits.
Killed in one of the worst automobile tragedies in Utah history were MARTIN EDWIN GREEN, 22, of 3552 Jefferson, his bride, NELLIE JUNE WILSON GREEN, 16; RALPH E. GREEN, 37, brother of the bridegroom and driver of the car; MRS. EDNA WILSON, 40, of 150 Second, the bride's mother; MRS. PHYLLIS CHRISTENSEN, 40, 150 Second, aunt of the bride; GLEN CHARLES WADSWORTH, 38, of Ogden and MRS. CLARENCE SHARPLESS, 33, of Clearfield.
The young couple had been married Saturday afternoon at the bridegroom's home by Bishop Thomas Van Drimmelen of the Ogden L.D.S. Twenty-eighth ward. ELMER B. GREEN, brother of two of the victims, said the party was celebrating the wedding.
State Highway Patrol Trooper Farlin L. Wood investigated the accident and said his findings indicated that the GREEN car was traveling at an excessive speed at the time of the crash.
Diver of the southbound truck, JOHN T. WALKER, 36, of 317 Twenty-sixth, told Trooper Wood he saw the car approaching northbound on U.S. 91 at such a speed it appeared unable to make the curve. The 15-year-old sedan roared around the turn with a sharp squeal of tires, swerved over the line and headed straight for the truck.
WALKER tried to avoid the car by cutting the wheels to his left, intending to let the sedan go off to the left of the highway, but the huge truck with its 40,000 pound load of grain, couldn't clear the road in time.
There was a jarring shock as the car crumpled into the front of the slowly moving truck. The shattered sedan then spun off to the right and landed rightside up to the right of the highway 20 feet from the paving, headed south.
Neither WALKER nor an unidentified companion in the truck was injured.
As they got out to help the injured, a phone call was put in for Trooper Wood, who arrived minutes later, just ahead of two doctors.
The car was so badly smashed that those seeking to aid the victims could not determine at first how many persons were in the machine.
Wood said it was impossible to tell when the wreckage was reached, who had been in the front seat or who was in the rear. Physicians on the scene said all occupants of the car were dead when they examined them, and expressed the opinion that they died almost at the moment of impact.
Force of the blow was evidenced in the damage to the heavy Diesel-powered tractor. Trooper Wood said that to straighten the frame and reset the Diesel engine would cost approximately $2000, along with other repairs needed. The sedan was destroyed.
Wood and Herman Thierault, deputy Clearfield city marshal, who aided in the investigation, said there was a light snow on the highway at the time of the accident, but cause of the accident was the high speed at which the car was being driven.
The wreck happened at four-fifty-five a.m.
Ambulances from the South Davis fire department and from Clearfield and Ogden mortuaries were called to the scene, removing one body to Sunset and six to Ogden.

Ogden Standard Examiner Utah 1952-02-18