Mt. Timpanogos, UT Bomber Found, Mar 1955


Salt Lake City (AP) -- Three tough mountain men refused to run from avalanches and fought their way up a towering peak late yesterday to a wrecked B-25 bomber. They found the bodies of three men who died in the crash and dug for two more.
Still missing somewhere in the jagged mountains was a civilian twin-engined Beechcraft, which also carried five persons.
The 10 persons in the two planes vanished in mountain snow storms Wednesday night. Until the climbers reached the B25 and sent a radioed message to planes overhead nobody knew which craft it was.
The men on foot were not equipped to spend the night at the wreck and officers said no attempt to bring out the bodies could be made until today. However, the three men dug into the nine-foot snow trying to find the other two bodies until falling darkness and a gathering storm drove them down the side of 11,750-foot Mt. Timpanogos, highest mountain in the Wasatch range.
The Air Force said it did not know which of the five men in the bomber had been found.
Aboard the B25 on its flight from Great Falls, Mont., to March Air Force Base, Calif., were:
Maj. DANIEL C. HOWLEY, 33, Springfield, Mass., pilot.
2nd Lt. HOWARD E. ST. JOHN, JR., 25, Mendham, N.J., copilot.
Airman 2C DOYLE DEMPSEY, 22, Hawkins, Tex., engineer.
DONALD R. CUBBAGE, 45, of Great Falls, Mont., a civilian engineer working for the Air Force.
MAURICE McNULTY, 30, a Wyoming man, also a civilian engineer working for the Air Force.
The climbers reached the wreck at 5:10 p.m. after starting their second day's search at mid-morning.
The plane smashed against the mountain only about 300 feet from the top. The men had to make their way up on foot from Timpooneke ranger station at about the 7,000 foot level. They had to gouge steps in frozen snow and at times sank into their waists as they struggled up the mountain with great packs of snow poised above and ready to rumble down upon them.
The main party turned back early in the afternoon but, under instructions from Snow Ranger Monty Atwater, the three pushed on. They are Jim Shane, Harold Goodro and Leo Stoerts, all members of the Wasatch Mountain Club, whose members specialize in hazardous skiing and climbing.
The men who returned to camp had sent for Army 75 millimeter recoiless rifles to blast the dangerous snow packs down the mountain but this apparently will not be necessary now.

Ogden Standard Examiner Utah 1955-03-13