Ogden-Lucin Cut-Off, UT Cars Derail On Great Salt Lake Trestle, July 1910

Ogden-Lucin Cut Off UTAH.jpg



A Southern Pacific train, loaded with massive blocks of stone, proceeding from the quarries at Lakeside, on the west shore of the Great Salt Lake, to Bagley, where the embankment of the fill in the lake are being strengthened, was wrecked on the edge of a trestle at 9 o'clock this morning by a large rock falling between the cars.
Many of the laborers on the train were thrown into the lake and several of them were killed and injured.
The wreck swept the cable from the trestle and destroyed telegraph communication with the scene of the accident.
A special train with doctors and nurses left Ogden at 9:30 this morning.
Four men were killed and six injured when the train in charge of Conductor JOHNSON was derailed between Lakeside and Rambo, about fifty mies west of Ogden. The accident was caused by a large rock which had fallen upon the track and which derailed three cars.
The dead and injured are all employes of the Southern Pacific and mostly laborers.
The dead are:
Two Austrians, unknown.
The injured are:
At the time of the accident, the train was moving about ten miles an hour, going from one scene of work to another. The wreck occurred on the trestle at the west side of the lake. When the cars left the track they plunged off the trestle, tearing down the telegraph wires which caused some delay in the more detailed reports of the accident reaching Ogden.
The first report of the wreck was received by Superintendent T. F. Rowland at 8:40 o'clock this morning and about thirty minutes later a wreck train, carrying physicians and nurses left the Union Depot for the scene. This train was in charge of Superintendent Rowland.
General Superintendent E. C. Manson left Salt Lake City for Ogden as soon as word was received by him. He arrived here at 11 o'clock and left for Lakeside at 11:15.
At 11:30 reports were received in Ogden that the wreckage had been cleared from the track so that traffic could be resumed, and that the relief train was on the way to Ogden.
The train was moving east and, when about three car lengths from the trestle near Rambo, a rock which in some manner had worked loose from the embankment of the second track, which has been reaised, rolled upon the track between the cars. The train was made up of an engine and tender, water car, spreader and following this an empty flat car and box car, next to the box car was the caboose and following the caboose were 45 flat cars loaded with stone. In all, the train was made up of 49 cars. The rock threw the caboose, the empty box car and the flat car from the track, and, as the momentum of the train carried them on to the trestle, all three cars toppled over and fell ten feet from the bridge into the lake. Some of the other cars were deraileld, but did not drop into the lake.
In the box car were five Austrian laborers and all were imprisoned in the car which was nearly filled with the heavy lake water. When a hole was cut through the top of this car by the rescuers, three of the men were rescued, but two of the imprisoned were found to have succumbed. These men were no doubt strangled by the salt water. The three men rescued alive from the car were but slightly hurt.
The other two men who were killed were on one of the flat cars which when thrown from the rails, sent them down the embankment and heavy rocks flying from the cars half buried them. Each of them was badly crushed about the head and shoulders and death must have been almost instantaneous.
THe six injured men were on one of the flat cars and while thrown down the embankment, fortunately escaped the heavier downpour of rock which proved fatal to their companions. It is believed that all of the injured men will recover, as none of their injuries seem to be of a necessarily fatal nature.
J. J. JOHNSON'S injuries consist of a badly bruised leg and some bruises about the hips.
J. ANDERSON was hurt about the legs, though no bones are thought to have been broken.
WILLIAM WESTHOFFER was badly bruised and cut about the head, but is expected to recover.
F. MARTINEZ, a Spaniard, had his knee badly bruised.
J. GRAHAM, left knee injured, but wound is not of a serious nature.
DANIEL KEENAN had his side injured and it is possible that he may have sustained internal injuries.
All of the injured men were brought to Ogden on a special train, arriving at the Union depot at 1:30 this afternoon. This train also brought to this city the bodies of the dead. The dead were taken to the Heston-Kirkendall undertaking rooms, where they will be prepared for burial. The injured were removed in ambulances and cabs to the hospital.
The work train was in charge of Conductor A. J. Johnson, and there were about twenty-five workmen aboard it when the accident occurred. The crew was made up of Engineer Thomas Cole, Fireman Carlson and Brakemen J. A. Browning and F. C. Peterson. None of the crew of the train was hurt.
Conductor Johnson, who perhaps had the narrowest escape from injury or death tells the following story of the wreck:
"We have been raising the south main line at the point where the wreck took place, and I think that the derailling was caused by a rock rolling on the track from the embankment of the other track. I was standing on the caboose platform and saw that something had happened by the action of the cars ahead. The caboose had not yet reached the trestle. We were not traveling more than eight or ten miles an hour, and I jumped without in any way being injured. I saw the other cars fall into the lake. The train did not travel more than a hundred feet after the derailling and we at once began the work of rescue. By cutting a hole in the box car, we saved the lives of the three Austrians as they would have, no doubt, met the same fate as did the other two."
Most of the injured men are without families. Several of the men who were in the wreck live in San Francisco. J. J. JOHNSON is a resident of this city having resided here for about two years. He is a native of Sweden.

Ogden Standard Utah 1910-07-20