Gateway, UT Auto And Bus Collision, Mar 1946

aaa SALT LAKE 1946



Ogden, March 10 - An Omaha-bound bus with a full load of passengers and a westbound passenger car collided at Gateway, five miles up Weber canyon near midnight Saturday, killing two Salt Lake men occupying the car and seriously injuring the bus driver.
Killed were:
WALTER ROSENLUND, 21, 349 S. 5th East, the driver.
ROBERT H. CROMAR, 21, 519 S. 5th East, a passenger.
Injured was:
NELDON P. MINER, 39, 756 Garfield Ave., driver of the bus, sustained a fracture of the left wrist, a badly lacerated left ankle, severe shock and probable internal injuries. He was taken to the Thomas D. Dee Memorial Hospital in Ogden.
Many of the 55 passengers of the Greyhound bus were shaken and bruised by the terrific impact, but were able to continue after being returned to Ogden for transfer to another bus. MRS. MINER, wife of the bus driver, sustained shock in addition to extensive bruises.

Crash On Curve.
Witnesses reported that the accident occurred on a curve of the two-lane highway Saturday at 11:40 p.m. just east of the Gateway store, when two racing westbound cars suddenly appeared in front of the bus.
The ROSENLUND machine struck near the front of the bus with an impact that drove it underneath the giant vehicle, save for two side wheels and parts of the body, which was peeled from the chassis and reduced to shapeless metal, according to the report of Gene Smith, Utah highway patrolman.
Death resulted instantly for the two victims, one of whom was pinned in the wreckage. The other was found lying on the exposed portion of the chassis of the 1937 coach.

Veers Into Embankment.
Following the collision, the bus continued some distance along the highway with the death machine buried beneath it, and then veered to the left into an embankment.
The second passenger car, reportedly containing three persons, stopped at the scene for a short time and later drove away before identification could be fully established, it was reported.
After the arrival of a wrecker from Salt Lake City, the debris was disentangled at dawn Sunday and the bodies removed to an Ogden mortuary. Later they were taken to Salt Lake City.
Cooperating in the investigation of the accident were four highway patrolmen and two peace officers of Morgan County. In addition to Patrolman Smith, they were Patrolman Jack Moss, Leroy Olson and Ted London, and Sheriff Bernard Dahlquist of Morgan County and Delbert Robins, Morgan County deputy.

Salt Lake Tribune Utah 1946-03-11