Ogden, UT Train - Automobile Wreck, Feb 1910



Three Passengers Dangerously Injured, While Many Others Have Terrifying Experience in a Veritable Death Trap.

Ogden, Utah --- In a head-on collision between a motor car used on the Malad branch of the Oregon Short Line and a passenger train, in the railroad yards in this city, the motor car was wrecked and the thirty or more passengers had a severe shaking up, at least three being dangerously injured.

The passenger train from the north was a few minutes late, and impatient to get a start for the north, the motor car in charge of Motorman CASE and Conductor H. W. LOGAN is said to have disregarded orders to meet the southbound train in the local yards, and attempted to make the “town track” by way of the Twenty-second street crossing, the result being a head on collision.

None of the passengers on the south bound train were injured in the least. Had either train been traveling at a high rate of speed, the loss of life in the motor car would undoubtedly have been appalling. Passengers who were on the car and escaped without injury say that the motor cars would prove veritable death traps in a case of a serious wreck, as there is no way to get out except through a narrow doorway, the round windows being too small to admit a human body.

Carbon County Utah 1910-02-11



At 6:47 a. m. Tuesday the Malad motor car and passenger train No. 24, came together in a head-on collision on the Twenty-second street curve in the railroad yards at Ogden, resulting in the injuring of several passengers and badly wrecking the motor car and engine 876, attached to the passenger train.

The motor car had orders to meet No. 24 at Ogden, and Conductor LOGAN, thinking he had time, decided to run the motor out to the north end of the yards and back in onto a switch while the passenger ran past. He missed his calculations, however, and but for the heroic work of Flagman GOUCHER, every passenger in the car might have lost their lives. The flagman was standing at a siding near the curve, when the motor passed, and at the same time he saw the smoke from the engine of No. 24, bearing down from the north. He ran out into the clear and waved his flag frantically, finally attracting the attention of the engineer who gave two short blasts of the whistle and applied the brakes, so that the passenger train was practically stopped when the collision occurred, but the motor car was running about 15 miles per hour.

Continued on page 2