Seattle, WA Grand Trunk Pier Fire, July 1914

The Fire at its Peak Seattle wash Grand Dock fire 7-30-1914 3.jpg Seattle wash grand dock fire 7-30-1914 4.jpg Seattle Wash grand dock fire 7-30-1914 5.jpg Seattle wash Grand Dock fire 7-30-1914.jpg


[Associated Press Telegram.]
Seattle, Wash., July 30 -- One man is known to have been killed, one was probably fatally injured and seven others were injured, three of them seriously today in a fire which destroyed the Grand Trunk Pacific pier and damaged the Colman Dock, large passenger wharves causing a loss conservatively estimated at $500,000.

Waterloo Times-Tribune Iowa 1914-07-31

Additional information from

At 3:40 p.m., wisps of black smoke were seen rising from the south side of the pier. Wharfinger C. B. Hicock was the first to sound the alarm, rushing towards the alarm box, crying "Fire!" as he ran.
Firefighters from nearby Engine House 5 quickly arrived from next door. When they entered the warehouse, no smoke was visible, but within minutes, thick smoke began billowing through the floorboards. One firefighter immediately ran to signal a first alarm fire signal, but suddenly a "flash over" occurred, where all contents of a fire reach ignition at the same time. The entire dock, and the surrounding air, burst into flame all at once.
The Grand Trunk dock was only four years old. Opened in 1910 as the largest wooden pier on the West Coast, the dock was build atop 5,000 creosote-soaked piles, and constructed using 3,700,000 board feet of lumber. Within seconds, it became a burning maelstrom.
By this time, the hose truck was well inside the building. It became immediately covered in flames, which ignited its 50-gallon gasoline tank, badly burning the firefighters beside it. Lieutenant J. W. LARSON escaped outside to fight the fire from there. PATRICK COOPER and JOHN STOKES were trapped.
The two men, skin peeling off their arms, ran towards the stairs. Just as STOKES reached the second floor, the stairs collapsed beneath them. STOKES turned to help COOPER, but COOPER fell back into the blaze below. STOKES jumped through a window into the water. COOPER, his body shattered, somehow pulled himself outside and rolled into the bay.
Both men were picked up by rescue boats and taken to the hospital. COOPER died in agony three days later, and STOKES was never able to return to full duty as a fireman.
The upper story of the Grand Trunk dock contained business offices. Stenographers, accountants and business owners madly searched for escape routes. Very few were able to run to the front of the building due to the fire's intensity. There was no alternative but to jump, or to shimmy down drainpipes.
Investor FRANK WHEATER was visiting with business agent W. B. JACKLING when they heard the alarm. They had no sooner reached the hallway when the smoke became too thick to pass. Returning to the office, JACKLING urged WHEATER to jump into the water, but WHEATER felt he could not leap the 15 feet needed to clear the dock.
Another man, believed to be JOHN DOUGAL, entered the room, but cried out that he could not swim and disappeared back into the smoke. JACKLING again urged his friend to jump, but WHEATER could not. By this time, flames were gouting out from the floor below. JACKLING had no alternative but to save his own life. He leapt through the flames, burning his face and arms, but clearing the dock. WHEATER and DOUGAL perished inside.
Inside the warehouse, truck driver HAROLD HARVEY and day watchman ORRIN LINN helped in firefighting efforts by grabbing a hose to douse the flames. When reached by firefighters, they were told to escape. Either they did not hear or did not heed, and continued to persevere. This was the last that anyone saw either of them alive.
Besides the five men who died in the fire, 29 were injured, 10 of them firefighters. Some had broken bones caused by falling timbers, others were horribly burned. The body of FRANK WHEATER could only be identified by a bit of burnt mesh underwear seared into his flesh. The bodies of HAROLD HARVEY, ORRIN LINN and JOHN DOUGAL were never found.
The total damage to the Grand Trunk dock, and of the businesses therein, was estimated at $413,020. The dock was rebuilt soon after, and stood for almost 50 years.