123

Oshkosh, WI House Fire Feb 1879

Burning of the residence of DAN O'NIEL, south side
A Sunday Fire.
About nine o'clock Sunday morning a fire broke out in the dwelling house of DAN O'NEIL corner of 14th and Oregon streets, south side. The fire took some how from the kitchen chimney. When first discovered the upper part of the kitchen was all ablaze. The house was entirely destroyed. The household goods down stairs were mostly saved, but little was got out from the upper story. A hose was promptly laid and would have checked the fire with but little damage, but at the very critical moment the hose bursted and the fire got beyond control before it could be remedied. The building was worth, probably, $800. There was a total insurance on building and contents of $600, in Lawson's.

Oshkosh Daily Northwestern, Oshkosh, WI 17 Feb 1879

123