Milwaukee, WI Clothing Business Fire Dec 1882

A LOSS OF HALF A MILLION.
A FIRE IN MILWAUKEE CAUSING A LOSS OF $600,000.
MILWAUKEE, Wis., Dec. 31.--Early this morning a fire broke out in Friend Brother's wholesale clothing establishment. It originated in the basement, either from an overheated or defective furnace, and worked its way up through the elevator. The interior of the building was completely gutted, destroying the immense stock. Friend Brothers' loss figures up $500,000; insured. The adjoining firms of Landauer & Co., wholesale dry goods and notions and Straw, Ellsworth & Co., wholesale hatters, suffered to the extent of $100,000, making the total loss $600,000. Three hundred tailors working in outside shops of Friend Brothers are thrown out of employment.
The New York Times, New York, NY 1 Jan 1883