Trempealeau, WI Village Burned, Apr 1887
A VILLAGE BURNED.
TREMPELEAU GETS BADLY SCORCHED.
THE BUSINESS PORTION OF THE PLACE DESTROYED -- THE LOSS BETWEEN $20,000 AND $40,000 -- LOCAL FIREMEN NOT ABLE TO COPE WITH THE FLAMES.
La Crosse, Wis., April 14 -- The business portion of the village of Trempealeau burned early this morning. The loss is variously estimated at from $25,000 to $40,000.
The fire broke out shortly after midnight last night. The estimated loss is $40,000 with comparatively small insurance. The fire originated in the rear of C. R. McGILLVROY'S hardware storm, from supposed spontaneous combustion. The flames sprad rapidly eastward, burning every thing on the street from the Masonic Temple to HARNEY'S dry goods store in a brick block. The entire population fought the fire with buckets without avail until it was stopped by the intervening brick walls. Among those burned out are FRANK WILBUR, livery stable; WILLIAM BLUM, meat market; C. R. McGILLVROY, hardware; C. HAUGLE, dry goods; A. GOODHUE, books and stationery; MR. HUMPHREY, restaurant; J. S. PIERSON, drug store; the SEYMOUR block used for carriage painting; ALLEN & GIBBS, groceries; and the American express office. The exact figures of individual losses and insurance cannot be obtained. A large part of the various stocks of goods are saved.
Trempealeau is a thriving village in Trempealeau county, on the river bearing the same name which empties into the Mississippi river a short distance above. It is located on the Northwestern road and is fifteen miles distant from La Crosse, and twelve miles from Winona, Minn. Its principal manufactories are a feed and grist mill, and a shingle and planing mill, while an extensive quarry is worked in the vicinity. The estimated population of the village in 1886 was between 600 and 700.
Oshkosh Daily Northwestern Wisconsin 1887-04-14