Vancouver, BC Plane Crashes On Landing, Feb 1968

Vancouver BC plane crash 2-7-1968.jpg Vancouver BC plane crash 2-7-1968 2.jpg


Vancouver (CP) -- The wreckage of a jetliner, buried to its wings in a building after cutting a mile-long arc of destruction early Wednesday, has been pulled free for an intensive investigation.
Two persons were dead and 18 others injured when the Boeing 707 leased by Canadian Pacific
Airlines crashed on landing in heavy fog.
The 100-ton plane veered off the runway to the right then skidded and slewed toward the main passenger terminal and tower facilities of Vancouver International Airport.
"We were lucky on this one," said Bob Cole, a transport department spokesman. "It could have been a hell of a lot worse."
"We had some miracles out there."
Killed was MARTINUS VERHOEF, 33, of Vancouver, the purser aboard the flight from Hawaii and ELMER NEDCALF, 44, of Vancouver
a transport department employee.
The 18 injured were reported suffering minor ailments.
Passengers and witnesses said the plane, owned by Standard Airways of Seattle, seemed to bounce on landing, veer, catch fire in a forward section and then began hitting things.
It first charged through a covey of four small planes, leaving them tangled bits of smouldering wreckage. Then its right wing sliced through a frame transport department field office. A fuel tank ruptured and aviation fuel fed a resulting fire that killed NEDCALF. Several cars parked nearby were also burned.
The jetliner continued on its mile-long wild arc toward the terminal. It dropped an engine and part of its landing gear.
En route it clipped an Air Canada DC-8 waiting to be loaded. Then it picked up an Air Canada ramp vehicle and dragged it along as the big plane buried its nose in bricks of the Aviation Electric Pacific Ltd. building, 50 yards from the terminal.
"I couldn't see any airport lights at all, and I remarked to my wife that the pilot would be doing well to bring us in with such darkness," said passenger CONRAD LAMB, of The Pas, Manitoba. "Then, bang, we hit."
LEIGH STEVENSON, 73, of Vancouver, a retired air vice-marshal on the plane, said he and his wife were sitting near an emergency exit over a wing. He had read all the directions so opened the door and helped passengers out.

Continued on Page 2.