San Diego, CA Famous Aviatrix Killed, Sep 1930

Ruth Alexander.jpg



San Diego, Calif., Sept. 18 -- (AP) -- RUTH ALEXANDER, San Diego aviatrix, who hopped off from Lindbergh Field here at 3:28 this morning, was killed instantly when her plane crashed four miles north of the field a few minutes after her takeoff.
Her plane, a low-wing Barling monoplane, weighing less than 900 pounds, crashed into a hill near Phoniosa Park. Her mangled body was found in the wreckage. Parts of the plane were found strewn several hundred feet from where the body and the motor of the plane were found.
Residents near the scene of the accident told police her plane was flying close to the ground and that a few seconds later they heard several crashes.
Police from the ocean beach sub-station discovered the body and wreckage first.
A wing of the plane was found about 300 feet from where the mangled body of the aviatrix and the motor of the plane were discovered. The other wing was badly crushed and was lying close to the victim's body. The motor was completely separated from other parts of the plane. No trace of the "stick" or propeller could be found in the wreckage.
A hole, several feet deep, was bored by the motor. The body of the plane was folded into a small bundle. Several braces and struts were wrapped around MISS ALEXANDER'S body. The only part of the avitrix's body that was not cut was a portion where the parachute covered.
An explosion in the gasoline tank is thought to have caused the crash. No marks were found near where the plane crashed, indicating that she had not struck the hill first.
Other reports were that a Western Air Express plane flew close to MISS ALEXANDER'S plane and reported to Lindbergh Airport attendants that her plane was in trouble. No Western Air or Maddux planes, however, could be accounted for by airport officials.
The ill fated trip was planned to start last Monday but was postponed from day to day, owing to unfavorable weather conditions in the east. The flight was sanctioned by the National Aeronautic Association and was sponsored by the Chambers of Commerce of Agua Caliente lower California, and San Diego.
William Van Dusen, local representative of the N.A.A., said last night be telegraphed Colonel Charles A. Lindbergh, MISS ALEXANDER was making the flight, the same one made by the colonel and Mrs. Lindbergh, and be would appreciate it if they would meet her on her arrival at Newark, where they hoped she would land tomorrow afternoon.
Before she took off from Lindbergh Field MISS ALEXANDER jokingly told the reporters who had gathered around that if she cracked-up to "send me purple pansies -- I like them best."
The San Diego Chamber of Commerce had provided MISS ALEXANDER with letters to the Chambers of Commerce of the various cities where she expected to stop on the return trip. These included Baltimore, Washington, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, Montreal and other cities. Eastbound, the aviatrix was to be met by her parents at Wichita, Kas., the only stop scheduled before reaching Newark.

Centralia Daily Chronicle Washington 1930-09-18