Hartford, CT Germania Hall Fire, Mar 1898

FIRE STOPS MASQUERADE BALL.

Eight Persons Severely Burned at Germania Hall, Hartford, Conn.

HARTFORD, Conn., March 8.---At a fire in Germania Hall, corner of Main and Morgan Streets, last night, while the tableux were being prepared to open the masquerade ball of the Hartford Maennerchor Society, a panic resulted, and eight persons were severely burned. Mrs. August Watersdorf is believed to have sustained fatal injuries.

The fire is thought to have been caused by two electric wires becoming crossed under the stage. There were many thrilling rescues by the Fire Department. The damage to the building is $10,000.

The New York Times, New York, NY 9 Mar 1898