Litchfield, CT Fire, Aug 1888
A BIG FIRE AT LITCHFIELD.
THE NEW COURT HOUSE AND A NUMBER OF OTHER BUILDINGS BURNED.
WATERBURY, Conn., Aug. 9.---For the second time in three years Litchfield suffered the loss of a large portion of her business blocks this morning. At 1 A. M. flames were discovered breaking was entirely of wood and burned so rapidly that no attempt to save it was made. The lower floor was occupied by Grannis & Elmore's grocery. Deneger's shoe store and Dr. J. T. Sedgwick's office were on the second floor. The flames spread to the building directly east, occupied by C. E. Shumway, harness maker; then to Sanford & Sharp's tinshop, and from this to Braman & Bissell's dry goods and grocery store and Meafay's shoe store. Hopes were entertained of being able to save the new Court House, which was recently erected at a cost of $13,000, and an attempt was made to clear away the buildings between it and the building where the fire started by the use of powder, but in spite of all efforts the flames jumped the vacant space between the Court House and the building west of it, and the new structure was burned to the ground in a short time. The next block was the one owned by J. Walcott Wheeler. It is of brick. For some time it was an even thing whether it too would go or not, but water was plenty and the flames were checked. Everything is in a state of confusion in the centre of the village.
The New York Times, New York, NY 10 Aug 1888