Ashland, IL Opera House Block Fire, Nov 1893


Ashland, Ill., Nov. 30. -- The Opera House Block was totally destroyed by fire at 3 o'clock this morning. The fire is supposed to have been caused by the explosion of an oil lamp. The Opera House was owned by FRANK LOHMAN. His loss is estimated at $8,000, partially insured. Among the other losses are:
A. KUMLE, grocery, $1,000.
W. A. NELSON, jeweler, $3,000.
J. A. GLEASON, restaurant, $1,000.
TAULMAN & SWAYNE, restaurant, $1,000.
The total losses aggregate $18,000, and all are partially covered by insurance.

The New York Times New York 1893-12-01