Rockford, IL Fireworks Accident, Jul 1948

Burned when Sparkler Ignites Girl’s Dress

A 7-year-old was recovering last night from painful burns on her left arm and right leg suffered about 9 p.m. Sunday when a sparkler ignited her dress while she was celebrating the Fourth of July.

Quick action by Felix Elliott, 1607 12 West State, grandfather of Sandra Lee Anderson, saved the girl from serious burns.

Elliott, when he was a spot of flame on the girl’s dress, slapped it out with his hand.

Morning Star, Rockford, IL 6 Jul 1948