Morris, IL (near) Plane Crashes Into Field, Two Men Killed, Oct 1973

Plane Crash Kills Two Men

Morris, IL., Oct. 8 - The body of Billy P. Blount, 28, of Rte. 2, one of two men killed in a plane crash Saturday near Dupont and Buffalo Rds. was transferred from the Reeves Funeral Home Sunday night to Pocahontas, Ark. for burial.

The body of the second victim, Newton C. Savaria, 49, of Mazon will be sent Tuesday from O'Hare Airport to Arco, Idaho, for burial.

Mrs. Donald Terrell, of Norman Township, reported to Morris Police and Grundy County Sheriff's Department at 11 a.m. Saturday that an aircraft which had been performing stunts crashed somewhere south of Dupont Rd.

A plane sent up by the Wagner Aviation Co. spotted the downed aircraft one-eight mile south of Dupont Rd. in a cornfield. The Morris Fire Department requested a plane be sent up to help locate the downed plane.

Grundy County Coroner James Reeves said the plane came straight down between a set of high wires and Dupont Rd. The engine of the plane, Coroner Reeves said, was buried three feet into muddy ground. No fire was reported at the crash site.

The bodies of Blount and Savaria had to be cut from the wreckage of the plane by the Morris Fire Department. Robert Wagner of Wagner Aviation and owner of the $14,000 Champion Citrobria said the plane was specifically designed for aerobatic flying. Wagner also stated the area in which the aircraft was flying at the time of the crash is a legal designated aerobatic zone.

The Federal Aviation Association, (FAA) arrived at the crash scene Saturday afternoon and Wagner Aviation Co. removed the wreckage Sunday.

William Morrison, an instructor with Wagner Aviation, said today that Blount was a regular customer at the Morris Airport and had been flying for five to six years.

The weather on the day of the crash was perfect for flying Morrison said. Morrison said as far as the airport could determine, the plane had been up from 30 to 45 minutes before the crash occurred. There were no reports from Blount about trouble. Morrison said the plane was new and had been picked up in Minnesota several days prior to the crash.

Mrs. Terrell said she saw the plane doing rolls and then as it came out of a cloud she heard something making a noise as the plane performed a loop and began to descend. Mrs Terrell said that was the last time she saw the aircraft.

Donald Barker, who also stated he saw the plane doing stunts, said it appeared one wing was missing in one of the dives as the plane came down.

Blount is survived by his wifr, Doris, a son, Michael, a daughter Stacye, all of Morris, his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Albert Blount of Pocahontas, Ark., a brother, DeWayne of St. Louis, Mo.

He was born in Pocahontas, Ark. on Dec. 22, 1944 and had lived in Morris the past three years where he was employed as an electrician.

Funeral services and burial will be at the McNaab Funeral Home, Pocahontas, Tuesday.

Reeves Funeral Home are in charge of arrangements.

Savaria is survived by his wife, Marilyn, three sons, Donald, Lawrence and Eugene, all of Mazon, two daughters, Marguerite of Joliet and Illette of Mazon, a sister, Miss Lillian Savaria of Alaska, three brothers, Taylor of Fresno, Calif, Donald of Idaho and Eugene of California.

Savaria was employed as an aircraft mechanic for Wagner Aviation of Morris. He was a retired Air Force aircraft mechanic and engineer. For the past year he had lived in Mazon. Previously he lived in Joliet.

Funeral services and burial will be at Marvel Memorial Chapel, Arco, Idaho, Wednesday.

Reeves Funeral Home in Morris are in charge of local arrangements. Visitation for the victims was held Sunday night at Reeves Funeral Home.

Morris Daily Herald 1973-10-08