Topeka, KS Publishing House Fire, Feb 1889

BIG BLAZE AT TOPEKA.

Property Worth About $275,000 Destroyed---Small Firms at Other Points.

TOPEKA, Kan., Feb. 22.---Special Telegram---This city was this morning, visited by the most destructive fire in its history. The George W. Crane Publishing House, the largest printing establishment west of St. Louis, was totally destroyed, the aggregate loss exceeding a quarter of a million. the fire was discovered by the engineer at 5:30 o'clock, and before the fire department arrived the building was enveloped in flames. A bitterly cold gale was blowing at the time, the thermometer being six degrees below zero, and it was impossible to save anything. The fire is supposed to have been caused by spontaneous combustion, as it quite certain there was not a spark of fire in the building. The building was one of the finest in the city, having been completed one year ago at a cost of $40,000. It was owned by Wilson Keith.

Over 150 employes[sic] are thrown out of employment. This is the third time that Mr. Crane has been burned out.

The Daily Inter Ocean, Chicago, IL 23 Feb 1889