Baltimore, MD Ferry - Barge Wreck, Jun 1923


Divers Seek Second Corpse Following Crash of Ferry And Steamer


Responsibility For Accident to be Determined. Six of Crew Ship Are Known to Have Reached Shore.

Baltimore, June 8--Federal investigation of the sinking Wednesday night of the Broadway-Locust Point ferry barge and the tug Cynthia by the Clyde Line steamship Norfolk is to be hastened by the finding of the body of Joseph J. Appel, No. 1112 Hull street, who was thrown into the harbor by the crash.

The body of Rudolph Allendorf, thirty-eight years old, No. 1321 Cooksie street, for which the police of the department tug, Robert D. Cartger, dragged the harbor, had not been recovered last night. Today divers will search the wreck of the Cynthia for Allendorf's body and to ascertain the extent of the damage to the vessel.

Harbor Engineer Bancroft Hill last night was certain from repeated checking that Appel and Allendorf are the only ones to lose their lives in the accident. Reports that a boy was seen in the water after the collision were not verified. None of the men on the barge or the tug remember the presence of a boy on the ferry.

Serg. M. J. Wallace, Eastern district, who has been assigned to check up at the homes of all those believed to have been in the crash yesterday, established that six men reached home in safety, in addition to those previously reported. They are Fred Enger, No. 1316 East Fort avenue; Albert Pamschufer, No. 1127 Hull street; Carroll O'Rourke, No. 1240 East Fort avenue, Prevost Halpenny, No. 1230 East Fort avenue, William Connor, No. 607 South Broadway, and August Cramer, No. 2043 Fait avenue.

Police last night were searching for Frank Mazur who they were told lived somewhere on Broadway. Mazur swam to shore after the collision, and was unhurt. Police wanted to get his story of the collision and to satisfy themselves that he was unhurt.

Marine law requires that Capt. Martin R. Forest of the Norfolk and Capt. F. C. Robinson of the Cynthia shall immediately file a report of the accident with the Board of Local Inspectors of Steam Vessels. Captain Robinson's had not been filed at the closing of the Board's offices yesterday. The Norfolk is not expected to reach New York before tonight and it is believed that Captain Forest will forward his report immediately.

Responsibility for the accident will be determined by the inspectors. The Board is composed of Capt. Charles W. Wright, local inspector of hulls, and Michael Stanton, local inspector of boilers. The two inspectors will act in the capacity of a grand jury and will receive evidence and examine witnesses as to the collision. When the responsibility is placed a formal trial will be held at the Board's office in the Custom-house.

To Survey Wreck

Hill's report was accompanied by a man showing how the vessels came together. Mayor Jackson acknowledged the report and thanked Hill for the efficient manner in which the checking up was made.

A survey of the wreck of the barge is to be made by Hill. The Port Surveyor of New York has been notified of the survey. The examination is for the purpose of ascertaining the extent of the damage to the barge. The Harbor Engineer says that the damage will be charged either to the Clyde Line or the owner of the Cynthia.

The Gettysburg Times, Gettysburg, PA 8 Jun 1923