Fitchburg, MA Fosters Block Fire, Jan 1893

Fire was discovered in the basement of Foster's block, at 5:30 p. m., Friday. The firemen quickly responded to the alarm from Box 66 and extinguished the fire, but considerable damage was done by smoke. It is reported that Mr. Bates, father of the Bates Brothers, went to the basement of their grocery store with a kerosene lamp and that, while filling it, it went out an when he applied a match it blew up, or by some means caught fire and soon the basement was all in flames. The stock of Bates Brother is insured enough to make them whole. The immense volume of smoke rising from the store nearly 30 minutes caused great excitement.

The Fitchburg Sentinel, Fitchburg, MA 6 Jan 1893