Duluth, MN gasoline lamp explosion, Jun 1908


Boy Dashes Through Street and Is Saved From Awful Death by Timely Rescuers.

With his cothes ablaze and screaming for help, Fred, the 15-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Dellborn, 5119 Wadena street, created a sensation last night abou [sic] 8:30 by racing madly through the street. He was caught by Louis Sliger and Jerry Mikiska and the fire extinguished. The boy sustained a number of painful burns, but they will not prove serious.

Young Dellborn was in his mother's store at 5405 Ramsay street, when a gasoline lamp exploded. He was covered with the inflammable liquid and was soon ablaze in a dozen different places. He became panic-stricken and rushed to the street running towards Central avenue yelling at the top of his voice. Mikiska and Silga were standing in Spencer's drug store on the corner of Central avenue and Ramsay street, and when they observed the boy's plight they rushed to his assistance. They quickly bore him to the ground and extinguished the numerous blazes with their bare hands. The Dellborn boy was burned about the side, legs and arms. He was carried into Dr. Payette's office nearby where his burns were dressed and was then taken home. It was stated last night that he will be out in a few days.

The explosion of the lamp set fire to the store, but this was quickly extinguished on the arrival of the fire department. The damage done was nominal.

The Duluth News-Tribune, Duluth, MN 27 Jun 1908