Grants, NM Plane Crash, Sept 1929


T. A. T. Air Liner Crashed In New Mexico, Report of Searchers States Today


Official Announcement Is Given out At St. Louis Offices of Flying Concern of Air Tragedy


Actual Recovery of Bodies Expected to Be Delayed because of Rough Character of Country

NEW YORK, Sept. 7.--(AP)--Paul Henderson, vice president of the Transcontinental Air Transport, today issued a statement here in which he said a representative of the company had made a flight over the scene of the wreck of the City of San Francisco and that his report said it was improbable that any of the eight occupants had escaped alive.

Colonel Henderson's statement said:

"The missing T. A. T. plane has been discovered on the side of Mount Taylor, north of Grant, N. M., wrecked. The report has been confirmed by a second flight over the scene. The character of the wreck makes it extremely doubtful that any of the passengers or crew have escaped. An overland party is now making its way to the spot."

The statement was transmitted to the relatives of those believed lost in the plane.

Colonel Henderson was on his way west to direct the search from southwestern headquarters and dictated the statement to his offices here over long distance phone.


LOS ANGELES, Sept. 7.--(AP)--Racing from a storm, the newest of air transport liners crashed into the side of a ten-thousand-foot mountain and exploded last Tuesday in the most desolate section of Central New Mexico, with instant death to its human cargo of one woman and seven men, advices to the Transcontinental Air Transport Company here today indicated.

The wreckage of the big tri-motor all-metal monoplane, a burned twisted mass of metal, was discovered on the south slope of Mount Taylor at 11:03 o'clock this morning by a Western Air Express eastbound transport monoplane.

Lieut. George K. Rice, pilot of the Western Air Express transport, which had four passengers and was bound from Los Angeles to Albuquerque, made the discovery. He first noticed what appeared to be a bit of snow on the south side of the ten thousand-foot mountain. He swerved his big Fokker monoplane around and zomed{sic} down to within a thousand feet.


There the appalling sight of twisted burned metal, and a circle of burned trees surrounding it was revealed to Lieutenant Rice, his co-pilot and the four passengers.

Thrice did Lieutenant Rice circle the tragic scene. It is one of the most rugged sections of the Wild West. Not only were there no landing possibilities in the vicinity, but there were no roads leading to the scene and even passage by horse appeared to be impossible. No sign of any living thing was found near the wreckage.

The trained experienced eyes of Lieutenant Rice, who was a world war flier, instantly revealed to him the tragedy. Knowing that the plane had circled Grants, N. M., Tuesday just about noon, and this scene being to the northwest, it was apparent that Pilot J. B. Stowe of the City of San Francisco was racing back toward Albuquerque to avoid the storms which held other air transports to the ground on that fatal day.


There were one woman and seven men aboard the City of San Francisco. It left Albuquerque on Tuesday morning, in face of adverse weather hoping to get through to Los Angeles that afternoon.

The passengers aboard were:

Mrs. Corina Raymond, wife of George B. Raymond of Glendale, Cal., a clerk of the Transcontinental Air Transport Company, owners of the City of San Francisco.

Amasa B. McGaffey, wealthy lumberman of Albuquerque

William Livermore, shipping man of Boston

M. M. Campbell of Cincinnati, paper concern sales manager

William Henry Beers, New York golf magazine editor

Members of the crew were: J. B. Stowe, chief pilot of Clovis N. M.; Edwin A. Dietel, co-pilot of New Braunfels, Tex.; C. F. Canfield, New York, courier.