Stony Point, NY Charter Jet Crash, Dec 1974

Stony Point, NY Charter Jet Crash, Dec 1974

Charter Plane Crashes; Three In Crew Dead.

STONY POINT, N. Y. (AP) - All three crew members died when a Northwest Airlines 727 charter jet crashed in a storm while en route to pick up the Baltimore Colts football team. No passengers were aboard.

The plane was bound Sunday night for Buffalo, N. Y., from Kennedy Airport in New York City.

The airline identified two of the crewmen as Capt. JOHN B. LAGARIO, 35, of Edma, Minn., and the flight engineer, JAMES F. COX, JR., of Seattle, Wash. The identity of the third crewman, the co-pilot, was withheld pending notification of relatives.

The plane left Kennedy at 7:14 p. m., and the pilot had radioed the Westchester County Airport in White Plains that he was clearing an altitude of 20,000 feet.

Suddenly, he radioed that he was "going into a spin," and the plane disappeared from radar screens at several airports in the metropolitan New York area.

ERNIE ACCORSI, public relations director for the Colts, said in Buffalo that the plane was chartered at the last moment after a previously chartered plane was grounded by a snowstorm in Detroit. The team was waiting for the air ferry after losing to the Buffalo Bills, 6-0.

The Daily Times Salisbury Maryland 1974-12-02


Northwest Orient Airlines Flight 6231 was the fatal crash of a Boeing 727 on December 1, 1974 in Harriman State Park near Stony Point, New York. The Northwest Airlines 727 had been chartered to pick up the Baltimore Colts football team in Buffalo, New York. All three crew members on board died when the aircraft struck the ground following a stall and rapid descent caused by the crew's reaction to erroneous airspeed readings caused by atmospheric icing. The icing occurred due to failure to turn on the pitot tube heating at the start of the flight. This was one of two Boeing 727s to crash in the United States that day; the other was
TWA Flight 514

The flight was chartered to pick up the Baltimore Colts football team in Buffalo, New York after the aircraft originally earmarked to transport the team was grounded by a snowstorm in Detroit.

The Boeing 727-251, registration N274US, departed New York City's John F. Kennedy International Airport at 19:14 for a ferry flight to Buffalo. As the craft climbed past 16,000 feet (4,900 m), the overspeed warning horn sounded, followed 10 seconds later by a stick shaker stall warning. The aircraft leveled at 24,800 feet (7,600 m) until it started to descend out of control in a spin, reaching a vertical acceleration of +5g until it struck the ground in a slightly nose down and right wing-down attitude twelve minutes after take-off, at 19:26. The aircraft had descended from 24,000 feet (7,300 m) altitude to ground level at 1,090 feet (330 m) above sea level in 83 seconds. The crash occurred about 3.2 nautical miles (5.9 km; 3.7 mi) west of Thiells, New York. Police described the crash site as a heavily wooded marshy area and accessibility was hampered by winter weather conditions including wind and a rain-snow mix. Despite the 727's full load of fuel, there was no explosion or fire when the plane hit the ground, and there was no post-crash fire, although police described the crash site having a "strong smell of jet fuel."