Ballston Spa, NY Methodist Church Fire, Apr 1948

Fire Razes Church Built 96 Years Ago

BALLSTON SPA. (AP)---The 96 year old United Methodist church at nearby Galway was destroyed by fire yesterday.

The flames fanned by a high wind, went out of control despite efforts of firemen from Galway and seven other Saratoga county villages, Fire Chief C. Duane McChesney said. He estimated the damage at $50,000. No one was injured.

Sparks from the church set fire to a barn owned by John H. Teachout a quarter-mile away, McChesney said, causing an estimated additional $500 damage. The barn fire was quickly extinguished.

McChesney said the fire started from soot in the chimney and later two oil burners in the rear of the church exploded.

The Post Standard, Syracuse, NY 19 Apr 1948