Hendersonville, NC Jet - Private Plane Collision, Jul 1967


No Warning Before Crash.
By Fred Girard
HENDERSONVILLE, N. C. (AP) - The newly named secretary of the Navy, business executives, their wives and at least 10 children were among 82 persons killed in the flaming collision of a big jet airliner and a small private plane.
A spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration said the small twin-engine private plane "was about 12 miles south of where it should have been," in the crash Wednesday over western North Carolina mountains.
Wreckage and bodies showered down over a wide stretch of the resort area near the city of Hendersonville in the Blue Ridge foothills.
The main part of the airliner missed a crowded youth camp by only 50 yards.
No one on either plane survived.
There apparently was no warning before the crash, witnesses said.
The smaller craft swept out of the mountain haze and ripped a huge gash in the airliner's side. The smaller plane blew up, some of it welded to the fuselage of the bigger craft.
The collision occurred at 12:01 p. m., just three minutes after the Piedmont Airlines 727, carrying 74 passengers and a crew of five, took off from the Asheville airport en route from Atlanta to Washington. The smaller plane, a Cessna 310 heading for Asheville, carried two Missouri businessmen and its pilot. JOHN T. McNAUGHTON, 46, who was scheduled to become secretary of the Navy in about two weeks; his wife, SARAH, and their 11-year-old son, THEODORE, were aboard the airliner. THEODORE had been attending a summer camp, and his parents had come to take him back to Washington.
The passengers included about 30 food brokers from across the country. They had gathered in Atlanta and Asheville for the flight to White Sulphur Springs, W. Va., for a convention of the Stokely Van Camp. Co.
Hours after the crash, a team of investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board, headed by ex-Gov. JOHN H. REED of Maine, recovered the airliner's flight, and voice recorders. He said both instruments appeared to be intact. They were sent to Washington for study.
HAROLD ROBERTS, FFA tower chief at the Asheville airport, said the small plane, piloted by DAVE ADDISON, about 40, of Lebanon, Mo., was on an instrument flight plan. But he added the plane was about 12 miles south of where it should have been.
Witnesses said the airliner pilot, Capt. R. F. SCHULTE of Norfolk, Va., father of four girls, apparently attempted to avoid the collision, then fought to control the huge craft after the impact.
Losing power quickly, he seemed to be trying to make it to nearby Interstate Route 26, a four-lane artery where an emergency landing might have been possible.
But the airliner came apart. One witness said there were two big sections "and a thousand little pieces" as plane parts, bodies and luggage plummeted to earth, about two miles from Hendersonville, about 20 miles from Asheville.
"The little plane just gave a jerk upward just before they hit," said CLARENCE HYDER, 33, a Hendersonville sign painter. "The airliner flew on a bit, turning toward the interstate, but then it turned over on its back and came apart." HYDER said he heard two explosions.
Aboard the smaller plane, in addition to ADDISON, were RALPH REYNOLDS, about 40, vice president of Lansair, Inc., owner of the craft, and ROBERT E. ANDERSON, about 42, a consultant for Community Development Consultants, Inc., both of Springfield, Mo.

Continued on page 2



Roger Lambert was from Logan, West Virginia. He was my uncle.

My Dad was married to

My Dad was married to Debbie's Mom Phyllis in 1986. I remember her telling me the story of the plane crash and how broken her heart still was.


I had dropped off a fellow employee of American Enka for a noon flight on Piedmont. As I started back to work on I 26, the noon news radio broadcast announced that a Piedmont Flt 22 had crashed next to the Bat Cave exit of I 26. Fearing this was my friend's plane, I turned around and headed south toward the crash area. Behind me I could see and hear emergency vehicles racing toward the scene also. The behavior of some of the people at the perimeter of the camp and across the interstate at the Holiday Inn site was despicable. Some stories from that day were verbally related by not put to print - that I know of. That day was the last day of camping sessions at several local children's camps and Piedmont had more bookings than seats and a second flight (22A) was added to handle the traffic. My friend thankfully was not on the downed plane. (Our company had a policy of insuring persons who traveled on company business for $100,000 in the event of accidental death. Word had spread that the following day, the company president delivered condolences and payment to the Salley family.) Early crash news confusion was not certain which flight had gone down. The 727 was a short term lease from Boeing until new 737's were received. Terrible day.

I was 16 when this happened,

I was 16 when this happened, and in my backyard giving my dog a bath. I saw the Jet suck the little plane right up into and explode. It was a sound and sight you never forget. The Camp was only yards from my house.. They recovered pieces of the plane as well as many body parts out of our woods. We went immediately to the Camp to be sure nobody was hurt.. there was one tree in a curve of Orrs Camp Road where a partial body of one of the pilots was hanging in the tree, still strapped in his seat. Lots of body pieces everywhere. Even a couple of stewardesses were impaled head first into the median on the interstate. We had looters in our woods.. and the sirens went nonstop for days. It was a horrible time for those of us who lived near the Camp. You can never prepare yourself for something like that in your life. You never get over it. Just reading about it brought back those anxious feelings :(

Flight 22

My first cousin, Debbie Davis, was hostess on this plane. She was 20 years old and a beautiful girl. She was to be a bridesmaid in my sister's wedding on August 20, 1967...one month and one day from the date of the crash. I never fail to think of Debbie on July 19. She was found, still strapped in her seat, in the median of I-26, by a Highway Patrolman. He knew it was Debbie because he had recently been transferred to Hendersonville from our hometown of Yadkinville, NC and was a friend of my uncle and aunt.

Mr. Farmer, I lived my first

Mr. Farmer,

I lived my first 18 years in Marshall, and was working at an Asheville funeral home when the crash occurred. Glad to provide an 18-page transcript of jet & tower's radio traffic.

Glad to send 18-page

Glad to send 18-page transcript of radio traffic.

Flight 22

My dad was one of the passengers aboard the Piedmont plane. I know live outside of Hendersonville in Marshall and would be interested in any info you can share with me about this tragic day.

I remember that day too. I

I remember that day too. I was about six and we heard about it and drove out to the site and there were airplane parts everywhere and I clearly remember most of the bodies had been recovered and there was one place in a field with the impression of a body, like someone was reclining. My brother said there were still some in seats in the trees around the crash site.
I am an Aviation Safety Professional and seeing this tragedy in my childhood may be the reason.

R. W. Stephens

My grandfather, R.W. Stephens, and his colleague Gus, from Bonaker Brothers in Tampa, FL were also traveling to the Stokely Van Camp meeting forty-six years ago today. I remember my Grandmother first heard about the crash when the soap operas that day were interrupted to announce that a plane carrying residents of Tampa, FL had crashed in NC.