Spencer, NC Magazine Explosion, Oct 1908
MAGAZINE GOES UP KILLING TWO.
Spencer, N. C., Oct. 2. -- Two lives were lost and 20 or more persons were injured in Spencer by the explosion of a powder storage house in the yards of the Southern Railway company, and most of the buildings near by were damaged by the shock and the fire which followed.
The dead are:
C. H. LAYTON, 48, of Raleigh.
GEORGE GOULD, 30, of Spencer.
It is feared that other bodies are in the ruins.
Fire was discovered in the storage room of the powder house and the Spencer shop fire department rushed to the scene. C. H. LAYTON and W. F. STAFFORD were holding the fire hose when the explosion occurred, and were buried under the debris. With great difficulty their bodies were pulled out of the burning ruins after the scene was reached by fellow workmen. It is said that a powder magazine contained a half carload of powder, dynamite and other explosives. The fire consumed 20 or more cars and other material.
Every building in Spencer and for many miles around was badly shaken up and damaged. Of the Southern's buildings, the blacksmith shop is the most seriously damaged. The large new machine shop, 200 x 600 feet, was also badly demolished, all windows being torn out and a number of columns torn down.
Coshocton Daily Age Ohio 1908-10-02