Bucharest, Romania Grand Stand Falls at Royal Palace, Jun 1936

King Carol Sees 20 Killed and 700 Injured As Grand Stand at Palace Falls With 5,000

BUCHAREST, Rumania, June 8
— Twenty persons were killed and
more than 700 injured at the gates
of the royal palace here today as a
grand stand collapsed in view of
King Carol and distinguished foreign
guests. They were attending
a national celebration marking the
sixth anniversary of Carol's return
to the throne.
The stand crashed as its 5,000 occupants,
mostly school teachers,
stood watching 25,000 boys and girls
line up to parade before the King,
President Eduard Benes of Czechoslovakia
and Prince Paul, chief Regent
of Yugoslavia. The children
were members of Carol's, National
Youth Movement.
The crash occurred without warning.
Those in the King's reviewing
stand saw a huge cloud of dust obscure
the grand stand and then they
heard the cries of the thousands
hurled to the ground. Many of the
victims were parents of children in
the demonstration.
King Carol immediately descended
from his stand, and summoning
fifty men of his bodyguard ha led
them across the wide arena to the
collapsed stand. He ordered a cordon
posted around the scene and
then personally directed the rescue
After a half hour Carol returned
to his stand, and as the simplest
way of getting the 25,000 children
away safely he ordered their march
past him to proceed. He stood obviously
deeply moved as the children
It became known that on seeing
the crash the King had turned
angrily on the Mayor of Bucharest
and upbraided him for negligence
in the construction of the stand.
This evening hundreds of persons
massed outside City Hall and booed
the Mayor after it became known
that engineers examining the stand
had found evidence of negligence.
Five city engineers were arrested.
An official casualty list has not
been issued and the authorities are
attempting to minimize the extent
of the disaster. About eighty of the
injured are declared to be in an almost
hopeless condition.
Prince Paul departed for Belgrade
this evening after having left $5,000
for distribution among the victims.

June 8, 1936 edition of The New York Times