Pine View Reservoir, UT Army Plane Crash, Feb 1946


Search continued today for the body of the second of two army fliers killed when their training plane crashed into the ice-covered Pine View Dam Reservoir nine miles east of here. The ice on the reservoir is only one foot thick.
Names of the victims were not immediately released. They were on a flight from the Salt Lake army airbase.
The body of one man, a second lieutenant, was pulled from the wreckage by a soil conservation employee, Melvin Fifield, who was driving along the road skirting the lake when the crash occurred yesterday afternoon.

Sees Plane Wobble.
Fifield reported he watched the plane wobble in the air above the lake and crash, 700 feet farther in its line of flight. Stopping his car, he raced across the ice-covered water and pulled one man from the wreckage. He applied first aid, administering morphine and gave other first aid treatment using supplies in a kit in the plane. He held the injured officer nearly an hour while two other witnesses went for help. The officer died before help arrived.
The other flier was believed wedged in the front cockpit of the plane and submerged in about five feet of water.

Plane Hits Power Line.
Prior to the crash, the plane had struck a high-tension power line.
In Salt Lake City, Colonel B. W. Yowell, commanding officer of the air force overseas replacement depot at Kearns, Utah, said investigation indicated the pilot was attempting a crash landing on the ice. He said the wings provided partial support and the plane was only partly submerged.
Search for the second occupant of the plane was continuing today, with rescuers experiencing difficulty in probing the waters of the lake because of the heavy ice covering.
The plane was on a flight from the Salt Lake army air base. Names of the fliers were not announced by the army.

The body of the second flier - the pilot - in the Pine View air crash was recovered at one twenty-five o'clock this afternoon by military personnel from Camp Kearns. The body was found still strapped in the seat in the cockpit of the plane about four feet under the water, after breaking through ice eight inches thick. Whether or not there will be an attempt to salvage the plane is in doubt as the ice is beginning to crack around the craft.

Ogden Standard Examiner Utah 1946-02-15