Amherst, WI Potato Warehouse Fire, Jan 1909


One of Peterson’s Potato Warehouses Partially Destroyed.

Amherst, Jan. 9--One of the potato warehouses in this village, owned by P. N. Peterson, was discovered to be on fire at 5:30 Friday afternoon. The fire caught from an overheated stove pipe placed too close to the woodwork. When the fire department reached the place the north end of the building was ablaze, but a half hour’s work extinguished the flames. The loss will be about $500, $200 on the building and $300 on the stock, both fully covered by insurance.

The Stevens Point Journal, Stevens Point, WI 16 Jan 1909